Re: How to apt-get over ssh tunnel through a firewall?

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 12:02:22PM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> Now I know how to browse the internet on B-D by creating  a ssh tunnel
> to A and utilizing the Iceweasel Browser settings to use a local Socks
> proxy.

This is untested, but if you change your sources.list to include
something like:

    # /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://localhost:1080/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

and then open a tunnel:

    # from the command line
    ssh -fND 1080 machine_A

it should just work. If not, you can try something more complicated,
like:

    # /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://localhost:32315/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

    # from the command line
    ssh -fN -L32315:localhost:32315 machineA 'ssh -fN -L32315:ftp.us.debian.org:80'

There's probably a better way to do this, but you asked specifically
about ssh tunneling. Good luck!

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"