Re: exim4 authentication in etch?

Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 02:10:53PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:
Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured exim4, put the user:password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to send a message. [...]
It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
setting the routing correctly.

Yes.

(I assume that a smarthost would override this, for example), but I
haven't tried it myself. Yet.

I do not understand what you try to do with smarthost.

The important point is "target must be the rDNS entry"

See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#theconfigurationofexime

Thank you for this reference. I believe it confirms what I believe to be the problem, namely verizon must require "|MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = true|" and "|AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS=yes|" The question is how to modify the exim4.conf.template file. Note that my system is Etch and that the Debian installation of exim4 does not include -or at least I cannot find - exim4.conf.localmacros. I will try again editing exim4.conf.template.
 (This is part of new Debian Reference for lenny.
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference)

The line I put in passwd.client is, "outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my understanding of the man page instructions. I am attaching the tail of the mainlog entries which show exim4 obtained an IP address for outgoing.verizon.net.

The host name in /etc/exim4/passwd.client should not be the alias. You
check the real host name with:
 $ host outgoing.verizon.net
   $ host outgoing.verizon.net
   outgoing.verizon.net has address 206.45.232.12

There is no indication of an alias.

Tom