Re: House wireless/wired router: choices? Plus wireless neophyte questions.

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 10:10 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> They always (AFAIK) offer DHCP, but you don't have to use it.  There are
> advantages to setting static IPs - you can set up host files and refer
> to the hosts by name, and I think that bringing up interfaces is a good
> few seconds quicker with static IPs than with DHCP.

Any quality firmware (dd-wrt, tomato) will set up hostnames for you
anyway, based on the hostname the DHCP client gives it.

> > 3.  What about configuring the router (with the static IP address, any
> > DHCP operating parameters, etc.)?  Since my desktop will be wired, I'd
> > like to be able to configure the router using my desktop -- which means
> > using Linux.  If an application on an accompanying DVD is needed to
> > configure the router, I'm guessing that app is only going to work on
> > that other operating system.  Or are there routers out there that are
> > configurable from a Linux machine in a straightforward manner?
>
> AFAIK, SOHO routers / APs / switches are generally configurable via a
> web interface, which will work with any platform.  Note, though, that
> they often recommend, or even require, Javascript, which can make using
> a TUI browser such as links difficult or impossible.

Another reason to use a firmware other than the default that the SOHO
router ships with.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca