Re: House wireless/wired router: choices? Plus wireless neophyte questions.

Hello Jack,

On 2008-10-04, Jack Schneider wrote:

> [...]
>
> Andrei,
>
> Doesn't WPA2 require access to a Radius server..?
>
> My Cisco seems to...
>
> Jack

Not generally.
WPA2 is an encryption standard. Using a Radius server adds an optional security feature:
an authentification server, but is usually not needed for "home" users.
The most common way of using WPA2 in small private networks probably is WPA2-PSK.

My Netgear WPN802 and the WPN824 offer WPA2-PSK (and other modes backwards-compatible with WPA), and I suppose
most modern wireless routers/access points do.

Regards,
--
Christer Oldhoff
Email: coldhoff@swipnet.se