Re: Trouble with USB printer - solved

Hi, Florian et al.,

I just found your reply (below) on the mailing list archive; for some
reason it was not delivered here.  It gave me a good enough clue to fix
the problem.  The output of ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/ was

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23077 2008-09-09 09:07 Laserjet1600.ppd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root lp   68634 2007-06-14 20:26 Phaser6300N.ppd

When I chowned the Laserjet ppd root.lp and restarted cups the printer
worked again.  Thanks!

-Chris

> Did you restart CUPS after the upgrade?

> Did you try to reinstall the driver for that printer? CUPS copies the
> relevant PPD file to /etc/cups/ppd/ when a printer is installed; this
> copy is not automatically upgraded when you get a newer version of
> that PPD with a newer version of CUPS. Usually it is enough to start
> your CUPS configuration frontend of choice, select the printer and
> then choose the same driver again from the menu of options (the > >
> model/driver name can change slightly with a CUPS upgrade). After you
> have done this, check the dates in /etc/cups/ppd/ to make sure the
> file has really been updated and restart CUPS. If it still does not
> work after that then you should probably file a bug report.

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                                           |
|   Research Scientist III                                             |
|   NYS Dept. of Health                           judd@wadsworth.org   |
|   Wadsworth Center - ESP                                             |
|   P. O. Box 509                                    518 486-7829      |
|   Albany, NY 12201-0509                                              |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.