Re: Building a new desktop: hardware advice

2008/10/2 Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>:
>> Asus M3A board
>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1934&l1=3&l2=149&l3=592&l4=0
>> (we need both IDE and SATA, as my current 500GB hard drives are IDE)
>
> I haven't heard anything about AMD chipset compatibility, but without
> any negative
> reports, you can probably assume it works.
>
> The GigE controller ought to be fine, and Atheros is one of the good guys now.
>
> The Realtek ALC883 could present some problems. Google this: ALC883 ALSA

Thanks. The system installed and runs fine. I have yet to connect
audio capabilities, so I will be wary of the alsa issue. Thanks.

>> One of these video cards:
>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1720&l1=2&l2=6&l3=551&l4=0
>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=634&l4=0&model=2051&modelmenu=1
>> I am leaning towards the second card because of the quiet fanless
>> design, but I am a bit concerned about a fanless card. It also
>> mentions OpenGL 2.0 compliance, which sounds good.
>
> The GeForce should be OGL 2.0 as well, but I agree that you should look
> at the Radeon. In my experience GFX card fans are a pain in the butt, and
> while you can argue about which drivers are better right now (nv/nvidia vs
> RadeonHD/fglrx), the fact is that the Radeon drivers are about to blow past
> the Nvidia drivers like a cheetah passing a tortoise. And that will happen
> because AMD/ATI is now friendly to FOSS, while Nvidia is not.
>
> Of course Intel still has the absolute best drivers, and X series have
> decent performance (outside of hardcore gaming). But you would have
> to get a different MB and CPU for that.

In the end I'm using the onboard video. I will upgrade to a discrete
video card when we decide that we need TV out, but before that I will
see if I can convert the DVI to TV-out.

>> Optiarc AD-7200S DVD±RW sata DVD burner
>> http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/half-height-drives/ad-7200s
>
> Disc drives shouldn't have any compatablity issues.

Not compatibility issues, but some drives are junk. In the end I put a
slightly more expensive Samsung drive in there. I haven't tested the
burner yet, but it reads and boots just fine.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com