Importing bookmark file

I'm trying to install my ubuntu firefox bookmark file into 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486 iceweasel. I copied it into /etc/iceweasel/profile after renaming the original file. the problem is iceweasel is ignoring the new file and still showing the bookmarks from the original, even though it is renamed. The owner, group, and permissions are the same as the
original.

Tried importing using iceweasel's bookmarks->organize bookmarks->import->
bookmarks.html (from where I had it stashed...$HOME) with no luck.

If anyone has any advice, pointers, etc on how to proceed I would appreciate hearing them.

--
Bob Holtzman
 check the price of the beer"