Re: Dealing with obsolete packages

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 06:11:47 +0000, T o n g (mlist4suntong@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that aptitude gui interface can show all those obsolete packages
> by sections. my questions are:
>
> - how can I tag all obsolete packages in a section, then remove them?
> - how can I get such obsolete packages list on command line?

To answer just that last question:

aptitude search ?obsolete

or

aptitude search ~o

To answer the first question, probably *something* like this:

for file in `aptitude search ~o | cut -b 5- | awk '{print $1}'`; do aptitude remove $file; done

although I am sure there are neater, more elegant solutions.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.