Re: how to create an image of your debian computer hard drive for cloning

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> wrote:
[...]
If you can plug the hard disk of the "clean pc" into your existing
system, then I recommend dd. If you need to manually move the data
between the computers then partimaged is handier. If both computers
exists in a fast lan, I guess you could just

At source
- export / from the source over NFS
At target
- boot a live cd on the target,
- mount source.ip:/ /mnt
- dd if=/mnt/dev/sda (or whatever hard disk on source is) of=/dev/sda

If you are on a fast LAN, I'd recommend using netcat with dd instead of mounting / over NFS.  You'll have much less overhead and can determine your own buffer size (via dd's blocksize parameter).  Check the archives, I think we discussed this just a few weeks ago, or just google "dd clone netcat" or something along those line.

Cheers,
Elijah
--
http://elijahr.blogspot.com/