Re: how to create an image of your debian computer hard drive for cloning

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:49:08PM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:18 -0400, David Clymer wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Robert Robert <robertrobert93@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > > I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
> > > that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy to
> > > another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
> > > for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
> >
> > I highly recommend Clonezilla-live. it makes cloning to/from any sort
> > of storage very simple. You can clone to an attached usb drive, to a
> > network drive via nfs, samba, or ssh. (http://www.clonezilla.org/)
> >

> Clonezilla uses partimage which I haven't found too reliable. I still
> prefer to tar /. It works perfectly every time.

To tar / will not

- partition the disk
- make a partition bootable
- put the right files on the right partitions unless the partitions are
   - created manually
   - mounted at the correct mountpoints.

The OP mentioned a "clean pc with no os at all", which sounds much
like an unpartitioned disk, on which tar / will not work at all (since
there is no partitions and no filesystem to untar to).

If you can plug the hard disk of the "clean pc" into your existing
system, then I recommend dd. If you need to manually move the data
between the computers then partimaged is handier. If both computers
exists in a fast lan, I guess you could just

At source
- export / from the source over NFS
At target
- boot a live cd on the target,
- mount source.ip:/ /mnt
- dd if=/mnt/dev/sda (or whatever hard disk on source is) of=/dev/sda

(This tip is untested though).

--
Linux amin 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i586 GNU/Linux
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>