Re: Totem and audio/video codecs

Op Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:10:14 -0400 David Bernier wrote:
> I usually use the Iceape/1.0.9 browser.
> (...)
> I'm still having problems with audio/video plugins.
> When I go to the Bloomberg page:
> http://www.bloomberg.com/ and click on
> the radio icon, I get the message:
>
> "Totem could not play mms [Etc.]  you don't have the
> 'Windows Media Audio Voice' codec".

The radio icon in the Bloomberg page works fine here, using Iceape
1.1.11 in Lenny, and totem-mozilla 2.22.2.4, which is the Totem
Mozilla plugin.

Judging from 'Help > About Plug-ins' in Iceape, the Windows Media
codecs are provided by libtotem-gmp-plugin.so, which is part of
totem-mozilla.

You could check the following:

This libtotem-gmp-plugin.so is located in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins,
it is a softlink to /usr/lib/totem/default/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
/usr/lib/totem/default is a softlink to /etc/alternatives/totem-default.dir
this is a softlink to /usr/lib/totem/xine,
where, finally, libtotem-gmp-plugin.so is located.

BTW, if all else fails, I'd suggest to try the kaffeine plugin by
installing kaffeine-mozilla, or the mplayer plugin by installing
mozilla-mplayer.