Re: KDE subpixel hinting

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 19:35:35 +0200, Alex Maurer wrote:
> I have both, etch and lenny installed. Both with KDE 3. At etch I can
> activate font-aliasing with subpixel hinting but I can't activate it
> at lenny. The checkbox for subpixel hinting are gray and not useable.
>
> Any hints, why?

I checked on my Sid system and the box is grayed out for me as well. I
have not idea what caused this. However, the "Hinting style:" combobox
below it (options: None, Slight, Medium, Full) still works normally
here.

When in doubt, check the Xft settings in the X resource database:

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.dpi:        96
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.rgba:       none

I can activate the RGB subpixel hinting with

echo "Xft.rgba: rgb" | xrdb -merge

but this only has an effect on non-KDE applications (which are started
after the setting has been changed). The normal "gray" hinting still
works fine also for KDE applications AFAICT. (I do not like the "color
bleeding" look of RGB subpixel hinting anyway, so I did not notice that
this option had gone missing from the KDE control center dialog.)

          Florian   |