Setting up ad-hoc network?

Im running Gnome on a Lenny laptop.

Is there a simple way to set up an ad-hoc wireless network? I want to do this so i can tether an iPhone, to get Net access via the phone.

I expected that the NetworkManager "Create New Wirelss Network" option would do it, but i dont know what this does; its not documented. All i know is
that when i do this, it disconnects from the existing network, tries to join the newly created network, and fails.

Id prefer a GUI method, but at this point, whatever works.

Thanks!

Jen