Re: LVM2, Debian, and changing the hostname

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:
> [...] The installation used LVM2 (I'm very happy about that), but I
> have a niggling worry.

> The device-names in /dev-mapper/ by convention include the system's
> hostname as one of their sub-parts:

>  /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-root /

> As far I can tell, this naming convention is irrelevant for all
> networking purposes and shouldn't cause a problem when the hostname
> and the mailname and so on are changed.

That's correct. It's a label and nothing more.

> But I haven't been able to *absolutely* reassure myself about this. Am
> I missing something?

It gets complicated trying to handle two LVMs on the same host if they
have the same volume name, so some distributions try to mitigate the
possibility by including a hostname in the volume name. (Why would you
have two LVMs with the same name? I wouldn't plan to, but it can come
about when swapping disk drives about.)

Chris