Re: vmware vmserver 2 is avail

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:40:05 +0200, David Sanders wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008 17:51, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
>> @dam-main:~$ uname -r
>> 2.6.26.cybo.2.0
>>
>> @dam-main:~$ dpkg -l |grep vmware
>> ii  vmware-workstation                    6.5.0-110069
>> VMware Workstation
>> ii  xserver-xorg-video-vmware             1:10.16.2-1
>> X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
>>

> Is workstation worth $189 when there are free alternatives?

That's a good question. I downloaded the latest workstation update since I
already have the 6.x release of VMware Workstation. VMware Workstation has
the so-called Unity feature which lets guest windows run on the host system
without seeing the entire guest OS desktop. Is that worth the price of admission?
Secondly, there is a redone installation process if you download the tarball
where it does the install within some kind of gui'ey window. But for me, and
the reason I took it off; is that Unity really requires a heftier piece of
hardware than what I have. I have Thinkpad T43s running Ubuntu and
Debian TEsting with 1 and 1.5gb of memory. The performance hit after updating
was pretty significant. You can run VMware Player that comes with Workstation
6.5 in "unity mode" as well. But everything slows way down.

One other thing which I just noticed in any VM session which perhaps never did work
is that I can never get RPC over HTTPs for Outlook 2007 to work on any VM session on
Server, Workstation, etc. I'm still puzzling that one. With the same setup on a native
Windows Vista system, I can connect to our EXchange 2007 server with no problems.
Anybody know why this may be happening?

The big answer is that Workstation is a nice free upgrade Imo. Its not really
worth the price of admission if you have "lesser hardware" and want Unity.
If you want to pay for a nice installer it may be a nice upgrade path :)

What are the other things that people feel are reasonable features that
they upgraded to 6.5 or bought 6.5 for?