Re: Problem compiling 2.6.26 kernel

Alex Samad wrote:
On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 02:28:43AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
On 09/27/2008 10:42 PM, Arthur Barlow wrote:
I have used Debian for many years and I have always used the kernel-package program that is included with Debian to compile new kernels. I have an older Athlon PC that has the Reiserfs 3.6 on it. After I do the "make-kpkg --revision= ## kernel-image" and then use "dpkg -i" to install the new kernel, I keep getting a kernel panic. The message reads like this:

    VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or unknown-block(3,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are available partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

It appears to have trouble mounting the file systems. I've never run into this before. The boot manager is still "lilo" and there is a "root=/dev/hda1" statement in the "lilo.conf" file. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You seem to be the second person in two days who has complained about this. Has kernel.org changed how IDE devices are accessed?

For the time being, you can probably boot using a root of /dev/sda1. The problem is probably that the kernel IDE driver (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE) is not being loaded before libata (CONFIG_ATA). I'm running 2.6.26.5 with a config file that I've used for about a year; I generally get my kernels from kernel.org.

Interestingly, I installed the latest 2.6.26.6 and I was burning a dvd,
but I had to reboot the machine because the process got stuck, I could
not kill 09 the process and it locked the dvd drive
It would be interesting to know where your kernel source comes from. Also, please give us the output of these commands:

grep BLK_DEV_IDE .config
grep "CONFIG_S\?ATA" .config

BTW, I have both BLK_DEV_IDE and BLK_DEV_IDEDISK set to "y".

Trying 2.6.26.6. BTW 'uname -a' does not give that information:

Linux debian 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Wed Sep 10 16:46:13 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

but if you subscribe to:

http://klive.cpushare.com/

you get that info, but apparently few Debian users do because I generally only see myself. Other distros have a lot more subscribers.

Hugo