Problem compiling 2.6.26 kernel

I have used Debian for many years and I have always used the kernel- package program that is included with Debian to compile new kernels. I have an older Athlon PC that has the Reiserfs 3.6 on it. After I do the "make-kpkg --revision= ## kernel-image" and then use "dpkg -i" to install the new kernel, I keep getting a kernel panic. The message reads like this:

	VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or unknown-block(3,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are available partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown- block(3,1)

It appears to have trouble mounting the file systems. I've never run into this before. The boot manager is still "lilo" and there is a "root=/dev/hda1" statement in the "lilo.conf" file. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.