Re: How do I install older software versions?

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:39:20AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 23:12 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
>  I wonder:

> > > It would be good to read APT How-To (search for it by your favourite internet search
> > > engine), then you will be better understand Debian's repository system and apt.
> > >

> > I already did that (+ lots of other material including the Debian bible
> > and "Debian concepts and techniques"). Anyhow I didn't find any info on
> > this topic. That's why I asked here.
>
> I want to add that I am familiar with apt pinning and forcing an older
> version. The problem is that older versions disappear from mirrors
> pretty quickly leaving you with no option to install an older version
> (apt-cache is imo not a reliable method).

The recent snapshots are behind firewall of the owner :-)

It should be back sometime.  That was anyway one man efforts...

> I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
> old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
> looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.

Due to storage requirements, we drop them reatively quickly.

My question is why bother to make your system as old testing.  If this
is to make it compatible with non-free binary program, I suggest you to
run stable system with some backports.  This way, you have stable but new
application.

See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Osamu