Re: RAMDISK:Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0 ... (etch)

On 09/27/2008 09:34 AM, Gerard Robin wrote:
Hello,
my box works fine since about two years with etch, and this morning I
installed cupsys, hplip ... I rebooted the machine and I got:
---------------------------------8<------------------------
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input.input0
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0
VFS: Cannot open device "302" or unknown-block (3, 2)

Device (3, 2) sounds like an IDE device, /dev/hda.

Please append a correct "root=" boot ....
Kernel panic ....

My machine seems ok, because it boot correctly on puppy.(on an USB
drive)
The mbr seems ok, I can boot windows or linux until Kernel panic ...

I use: the package debian linux-image-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486 an the
bootloader lilo.

/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486

Can someone gives me a clue to solve the problem otherwise that
to reinstall etch entirely on my box.

Thanks in advance.

"Modern" Debian kernels use libata to drive both SATA and IDE disks. Disks that have been taken over by libata will appear as /dev/sd? , so I think you need to set your root partition to /dev/sda.

Others will instruct you on how to use UUID in Debian.