Re: [OT] skype

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 04:34:13PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:05:09 +0300
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dotan,

Ah, I said "for masochists" because it's going to be painfully slow over
a DU account.  Skype has (fairly) high bandwidth requirements and
therefore the modem may not be able to cope.  The result being dropped
packets, and consequently, the inability to understand what's being
said.

The codec Skype uses marginally fits within the bandwidth of a modem
connection. Likewise will speex.
Modem connections also have a relatively high latency. I seem to recal
that the hop of a modem has a delay of some 100ms. This is something you
might even notice. But latency isn't that a problem with VoIP
connections.

A worse problem with VoIP, that tends to accompany latency, is jitter:
how much different packets have different time. An ideal VoIP stream
would have the exact latency and thus no cracks.

That's what I was after. Thanks.

Hugo