Re: Postfix config question..

On 09/26/08 05:51, Frank Lanitz wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 02:03:50 +0300
From what I recall it's also necessary to tell postfix to use SASL
and where to look for those credentials:

in main.cf:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/sasl_passwd

and 'postmap /etc/postfix/sasl/sasl_passwd'

But this is AFAIK only needed if you use a smarthost with login data.
For open relays it's not needed (but I'm not sure whether a open relay
is a good idea in general)

I think there's a third alternative: ISPs usually only allow "sent" mail from IP addresses within their own assigned range of numbers.

For example, I send mail via postfix-as-smarthost to my ISP, but don't use sasl.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson