Re: help with samba client?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:52:51 +0100
Philip <subs@christiantena.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I used to be able to use smbmount to mount a samba share into a non-root
> users directory, but a while back it stopped working.
> The man page suggests mount -t smbfs but when I try it I get an "only
> root can do that" error (I don't remember the exact wording).
>
> What's the correct way for a non-root user to mount a samba share?
> it must be possible because the smbk4 gui program can mount a samba
> share without the root password, but I want a command line way that I
> can add to login scripts.
>
> In my case both client and server are etch.
>
> thanks, Philip

I think if you add it to /etc/fstab with users option (check man
page) you should be able to mount it as a regular user.

Right now I am using fuse and smbnetfs. You will have to compile
smbnetfs from source but it is much better than smbmount as you can add
the user to the fuse group and you can simply mount the shares using
smbnetfs.

Good luck,
Amit