Re: vmware vmserver 2 is avail

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 10:12 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 07:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
> >>
> >> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?
> >>
> >> Hugo
> >>

> > KVM is out:
> >
> > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-kvm/index.html
> >
> > also worth noting xen running on the same hardware, using defaults
> > (chicken install method) writing to local disks is 100s of a second
> > faster or the same speed as ESX3.5 running.
> >
> > http://www.brianmadden.com/blog/GabeKnuth/BriForum-Video---Xen-vs-VMware---Ron-Oglesby
> >
> > Of course vmserver IS a fine product, just offering alternatives that
> > also are fine products and work.
> >

> But some things are poorly done, to wit support for 2.6.26 still needing
> those hoaky patches. And no way to use wget with downloading a 524MB
> server: dedicated to M$ again.
>
> Hugo

I'll bite:  what hoaky patches?  I just made a kvm, loaded ubuntu from
cdrom:  ~$ uname -r
2.6.26.cybo.2.0  <nothing changed in the standard Debian kernel, just
wanted to make my own.

If you mean for Xen, yea, you need to run the kernel level that 4.1
supports.  That is standard application planning:  Buy your hardware
based off your application.  Newer does not always = better, just newer.

Were you refering to Xen when you said patches?  I honestly don't know.
Educate me.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com