Re: How to activate sound recorder

How is your sound set up?  Are you using ALSA?  Have you checked the
mixer settings?  (You would need both the "microphone" setting turned
up, and also the "capture" setting.)  If you blow in the microphone,
do you get any sound coming through the speakers?  (I assume you've
confirmed that the microphone works.)