Re: [OT?] hardware compatibility of new PC

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 09/23/08 18:17, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> On 2008-09-21 11:13 -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wouldn't hold my breath.  x.org needs DX9-capable cards like nvidia
>>> 73xx series cards.
>>
>> What? What does DirectX have to do with X?
>
> DX10-capable cards tend not to have frame buffers.  Or, maybe that's just
> specific to Nvidia.

I think the actual 2d component has been gone from AMD chips since
before DX10, but it doesn't matter.

"nvidia" now has 3d support for the 9000 series and nv now has 2d support
for the 9000 series as well.

fglrx now has 3d support for new cards on the day the cards launch,
and RadeonHD so far has some kind of 2d support up to HD 4800.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers