Re: [OT?] hardware compatibility of new PC

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:57 AM, brumair <brumair@ymail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there any problem on this hardware components?
>
> - Motherboard: Sapphire mATX 780G
> - CPU: Amd Athlon 64 X3 8650
> - RAM: OCZ DDR2 6400 (4GB)
> - Hard disk: Maxtor STM3250820/310AS 250GB SATA2
> - Video: Ati HD3450 HM PCI-E 2.0

The motherboard has a Marvell 88E80xx (Yukon) chip which appears
to have some issues.

Search "Marvell 88E80xx linux" or "Marvell Yukon linux" (no quotes)
for more.

The Realtek ALC883 HDA sound chip also has some issues, such as
sound output being very quiet.

Search for "ALC883 alsa" or "ALC883 alsa 1.0.17" for newer info.

Still, for a free motherboard, you might as well try it and see.

I believe the HD3450 will do basic 2d with RadeonHD, and maybe even
accelerated 2d . I don't think there is any 3d yet at that level. The newest
binary ATI drivers should support the card just fine, however.

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/

On 2008-09-21 11:13 -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>I wouldn't hold my breath.  x.org needs DX9-capable cards like nvidia 73xx series cards.

What? What does DirectX have to do with X?

Cheers,
Kelly