Grub overkill

This is more of an annoyance than a serious problem but whenever I
build a Debian or Debian-derivative OS and grub detects other OS it
overdetects them. I have a single Slackware partition. Grub always
lists this partition from 4 to 6 times and the first listing on the
screen doesn't work.  I have no doubt that I can search out the
pertinent grub file and delete the extras but I wonder why I have
to .
--
John Culleton