Re: Unpredictable behaviour of Sata in Lenny

I've had similar problems with my nVidia 7050/630a chipset and Etch. If I
used the the stock 2.6.18 kernel, the screen filled up with those "Sata
link is down, taking too much time to respond." messages during boottime.

I think I didn't even see a prompt because it took too long to get there.
After installing a newer kernel (2.6.22 in my case), the SATA problems were
gone.

I guess you just need a newer kernel.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:27:04 +0530, "Mridul Manohar Mishra"
<mridulmmishra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am facing a weird problem in Lenny, till now I have been running
Etch
> without any problem. Two days ago I upgraded to Lenny, installation went
> smooth, I was able to install Nvidia drivers properly. Everything ran OK.
> But then I shutdown my system (power-off) and tried to power on again
> after
> a couple of minutes. The system booted to Grub, I chose linux to boot
into
> (I have dual boot with Lenny and XP) it went until certain point and then
> displayed error saying :
>
>  "Sata link is down, taking too much time to respond."
> "SRST failed (error -16)."
>
> After then it displayed
> "slowing down the SATA link to 1.5 GHz "
>
> again the same SATA errors and it left me on the prompt with  initramfs
> prompt.
>
> I tried resetting my system couple of times but of no avail. Then I tried
> booting into XP to see whether there is something really wrong with my
> drive, I logged in to XP successfully. Re-booted the system again and
this
> time booted into linux and to my surprise everything ran fine.
>
> I tried to generate the same scenario just to make sure whether it was
one
> off case, but it wasn't. Now if want to power on my PC, I need to boot in
> windows first and then reboot my system into linux. I can't log into
Linux