multi-threading: blender and ffmpeg - Re: thanks Re: AMD or Intel: performance, price and ethics

On Sunday 21 September 2008 22:51:10 Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > The multi-thread capabilities of blender and (partially) ffmpeg
> > is a good news.

with regard to blender, I found this article confirming that blender
is multi-thread able:
http://wbs.nsf.tc/articles/article8_e.html
which dates to 2005!

ffmpeg's multi-thread support is more conditional:

==============
[Ffmpeg-user] FFMPEG on multiprocessor machine

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2008-February/014282.html

 > How can I run the ffmpeg program in a machine with 4 processors?
 > When I execute the ffmpeg, only 1 processor is utilized.

ffmpeg -threads N -i input_video -y output_video
but this requires that the video codec that you select has
 multithreading capabilities. for example in H.264 decoder you can
 decode with multiple threads if the input video has slices.

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2007-October/012104.html
[Ffmpeg-user] H.264 multithread support

Thanks again,

Augustin.