AMD or Intel: performance, price and ethics

Hello,

I am building a new linux computer for desktop use and audio recording
and video editing.
The first thing to decide is obviously whether to use a AMD or Intel
CPU.

I have only used AMD so far. Should I switch to Intel this time?
Here are my thoughts regarding their relative performance, price and
ethics. What do you think?

Also, is there a better forum or mailing list to ask this kind of
hardware related question?
Is there a need to document somewhere the answer I may get?

1 - Performance.
=================

Well, Intel obviously wins the first round. Intel's quad-core are
largely more performant than AMD's phenoms.

What matters really is how much is enough for my needs.

I do a lot of multitasking, having 2 or 3 full KDE sessions open in
crtr+alt+F7,F8,F9... so I hope a multicore cpu would help some with
that, compared a dual core or a single core.

However, I read that it's better to have a very fast dual core rather
than a quad-core with a lower frequency (since very ofter the extra
cpus are more or less idle).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors#Athlon_64_X2
Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (clocked at 3000 MHz) is not to be found in retail
shops where I live (apparently, the model has been retired). The best
Athlon 64 X2 I can find is Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (2800 MHz).

Compared to the phenoms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors
The best I can find in retail shops are Phenom X4 9850 (2500 MHz) and
Phenom X4 9950 BE (2600 MHz) though I don't need a Black Edition as I
never overclock, so why pay the extra price?

Given the slightly lower frequency for the phenom, am I better off
with the Athlon 64 X2?

Now, what really matters to me the most is that I want to do some
video editing with ffmpeg and Kdeenline and maybe some simple 3D
modelling with blender.
Here is my current CPU:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm)   2300+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1585.853
cache size      : 256 KB

and it's really not quite enough for video editing. Kdenlive stutters
when previewing my movie timeline.
Would the less powerful AMD be adequate, or should I pay twice the
price for top Intel processor?

2 - Price.
=================

Am I right to say that the Performance/Price ratio still favors AMD
over Intel?

Intel's Core2 quad Q9550 is 90% more expensive than AMD's Phenom 9850.
Nearly twice the price. Does it really have twice the power?
Do I need that extra power for multitasking/audio recording/video
editing?

3 - Ethics.
=================

The primary reason why I would want to support AMD over Intel is to
feed a healthy competition. The only reason why we can enjoy very
powerful CPUs at reasonable prices is because of the presence of AMD
facing Intel.

Actually, IBM historically required a second provider beside Intel for
its chips for the very same reason: they didn't want to be dependent
on a single supplier who could fix prices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd#IBM_PC_and_the_x86_architecture

This is why I think we should support the number 2 chipmaker, since
they do provide relatively cheap but powerful CPUs and since we win
from their competition with Intel.

The second ethical element is power saving.
It does bother me that I use so much power when using my computer. I
hear that some CPUs have some power saving features but:

1) on AMD's side, I hear that most of those power saving features will
be part of the AM3 platform, (to be release Q1/Q2, 2009). I cannot
wait that long.

2) on Intel's side, those features might not be supported under Linux,
anyway.

Any cpu/motherboard choice that I should consider to conserve energy?

The third ethical element is the relation between the company and the
Software Libre world.
In which ways is AMD friendlier to the penguin than Intel?
I have heard of the open sourcing of the ATI drivers, but I am not
sure what's the latest news in that respect.

Does AMD take a stance with regard to the Linux/Open Source world that
is worth supporting by purchasing their CPUs?

All in all, which CPU (and motherboard) would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Mose: which cpu do you have on your own high-end computer?

--
Augustin

--
http://minguo.info/ better election methods