Re: problem installing debian on wipro 7B1630

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 09:39:44PM +0530, raman narasimhan wrote:
> i tried to install debian from binary 1 dvd. i set the dvd as the primary boot

What version is the DVD, i.e. How old is it?

> device. the installation started as usual. i was not able to install normally
> so i selected gui mode. the installation proceeded till DISK DETECTION.. the
> installer could'nt detect any disks.. i was then asked to enter the name of the
> disk driver.. i knew my disk was SATA so i tried all available SATA options but
> still it was of no use.. how do i create a partition when the installer doesn't
> detect any drives..

You can't. I'd boot from a Knoppix CD and try an 'fdisk -l' command and
see if that works. You could try installing from another distribution
and if it successfully detects the drive then file a bug against the
installer. This is providing that the installer is the latest version of
course, hence the first question above.

I'm assuming you tried the various boot methods and read the help
screens accessed via <F1>,<F2> etc.

--
Chris.
======