Re: Best methods?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:44:56 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2008-09-18 22:34 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > On Thu,18.Sep.08, 15:18:37, Jack Schneider wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, all
> >>
> >> Just noticed that the results of doing [dpkg --get-selections >
> >> Packages]  gives me a list which includes-- 194 packages marked for
> >> "deinstall'.  What's the best tool to clean this up, and how to do
> >> it??
> >
> > Don't ever ask what the "best" method is, there are just too many
> > of them. Here's the first I can think of:
> >
> > grep -v deinstall file > new_file
>
> This gives a list without these packages, but I assume that Jack's
> goal is to get rid of (= purge) the packages themselves.
>
> Sven

Hi, all

Thanks for all the guides.  Andrei, deliberately done.  I read this
list.. Sven has the key..  My / partition is growing beyond 80% 0f 10
Gig, so I thought there may be some junk in there, /home /var /tmp are
on separate partitions..& OK  This machine is a noob's (me) upgrade
from i386 etch to lenny -AMD64 -update over the past year.  I'll
re-read responses and choose...

Thanks..