Re: /var/log on tmpfs

On 09/18/2008 03:16 AM, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
hi guys,

i have set my /var/log to be on tmpfs (i have ssd and want to avoid logs being written on it). the problem is, that for example syslogd complains that /var/log/news/* files are missing. indeed, there is no news subdirectory in /var/log. the same applies, e.g., to apt (/var/log/apt/...) - so what would be the correct procedure in this case?

i don't care that much about the logs themselves, this is just a notebook...

thanks for info!

best,

I don't recommend placing /var/log on tmpfs. Instead I recommend you take one of these actions:

1: Edit /etc/syslog.conf so that logs are written to a tmpfs filesystem. You can place /tmp on tmpfs, so logs can go under /tmp/log/.

2: Edit /etc/syslog.conf so that no logging takes place; read "man syslog.conf"; you'll probably end up commenting out some lines.

3: Disable system logging using sysv-rc-conf or something similar. You might target sysklogd and/or klogd for disabling.

The above ideas assume that the only logging you don't care about will come from syslog. If you truly don't care about /anything/ that might be written to /var/log/, you can go ahead and place it on tmpfs, and copy a template (or skeleton) over that filesystem at boot. The template would contain the files and directories needed by the applications that use /var/log.