Re: [OT] was Re: diff display

On 09/10/08 22:17, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:31:51 +0200
Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

On 2008-09-10 09:52, James A. Donald wrote:
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/      James A. Donald
I am happy that I am privileged to live in a society that has abandoned
that kind of morality that probably was custom around the stone ages,
but has since experienced the advancement of civilisation.

Your society does not accept the right to defend oneself and one's
property?

If all rights descend from the government (whether that be an absolute monarchy or a parliament), then I'd posit that no, you don't have a right to defend home and hearth.

Did you know that many states have Concealed Carry (each time such a law has been considered, gun control freaks wail that it will turn the state into the Wild West, with daily OK Corral shootouts, but, of course, that has never happened) and Shoot-The-Burglar laws? The home invader doesn't have to threaten you, or even be armed. The mere fact that he/she has illegally broken into your home gives you full rights to shoot the person.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson