Re: Remote administration of a machine behind NAT

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:50:05PM +0200, François Cerbelle wrote:

> Le Mar 9 septembre 2008 13:39, Alex Samad a écrit :
> [...]
> > don't see the difference between connectivity via the internet or via an
> > openvpn network, if your rule states only allow ssh (+ related traffic +
> > only if it originates from your machine )
> > over the openvpn network
>
> If you forget the iptables rules, you can almost ever connect from a
> client to a server with a public IP (not behind a NAT). But you can not
> connect directly to a box behind a NAT. So, the only way to establish a
> connexion is to initiate the connexion from the box behind the NAT.
true, and openvpn can keep the connection up, and can be started on boot
up.  So essentially aslong as both ends are up and they have internet
connection then the vpn will be up

> Secondly, you can initiate a SSH connexion, but you will not have every
> thing or a VPN to route all the network traffic. As I explained, you have
> to initiate the VPN connexion from the NATted box to the other. After,
> both boxes are on the same network (VPN).

but you will, as stated above if both machines have internet connection
then openvpn will create the tunnel.

For example on my laptop I have a openvpn tunnel back to my house, when
I no where near a wireless hot spot it sits there try to connect but
can't one I get a internet connection it make the connection and I am
connected back home