Odd question about CUPS

I have a cups server that has been working perfectly for several years. Recently my Debian and Macbooks (Firefox only) where all upgraded and now the printer does not work for the macbooks.

Here's the CUPS error entry:
cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided

here's the fun part.
It works perfectly from MS Word on Mac and OpenOffice on Mac.
It doesn't work for FireFox, Thunderbird or Preview (Apple PDF).

Because of the OpenOffice and Word I was thinking that this is not a problem with the printer configuration and that it might be a problem with recent upgrades to FireFox. Except my wife, who did not upgrade FireFox has the same problem.

Add to that the fact that the Preview can't print either (not upgraded).

I'm currenlty, because of the error, of the opinion that my Debian printer server has taken a turn for the worse.

I have no authentication that I recall adding.
There is something that might be new - CUPS-Authenticate-Jobs that I'm not familiar with.

But if this is server related -- how does OpenOffice and MS Word get around this? I'm really in a jamb here because I *need* my printer for college.

This is the configuration entries:
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup lpadmin
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 192.168.1.*
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Policy default>
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>