Re: USB devices not detected unless plugged in at boot

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:51:49PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,08.Sep.08, 14:14:44, Carl Fink wrote:
> > >
> > > How are you checking if they are detected (typically one would watch
> > > syslog or dmesg)?  If the kernel doesn't recognize them udev can't do
> > > anything about it.
> >
> > Syslog.  Note that they are all detected fine if they are plugged in before
> > the boot process, so clearly the kernel can recognize them.
>
> But it's also the kernel who should recognize them later. Udev runs in
> user space (AFAIK). Do you have a standard kernel or self-compiled. Do
> you get *any* response in syslog? I'm not sure I can help you, but these
> are things I would look at first.

Standard 2.6.24-1-amd64 from the Debian package.

Could it be some kernel module that isn't being loaded?  Anyone have an
insight?  I'm using the same Debian release on my tower with the same USB
devices flawlessly, but there I'm using the K7 kernel (older CPU).
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!