corrupted software raid

Hello,

I upgraded one of my servers to debian/lenny recently, and unfortunately
I forgot to remove the apt pinning for mdadm from /etc/apt/preferences,
so an old mdadm from backports.org was kept installed, while the rest of
the system was updated to debian/lenny. this lead to a broken initramfs,
and the server didn't boot any more.

The server has two 500gb disks in software raid (md0 = swap, md1 = root).

after some (helpful) conversation with waldi from the debian-kernel
team I found out what the reason was (see bug #498029), upgraded mdadm
to latest version after booting with /dev/sda2 as root instead of
/dev/md1. after recreating the initramfs the system indeed booted again
with software raid enabled, but now the filesystem on /dev/md1 seemed
corruped. fsck failed in the boot process and i had to run it manually,
but that didn't fix all issues either, instead fsck repeated to start
from beginning infinitely.

so I stopped that, configured the system to again use only /dev/sda2 as
rootfs and booted. but somehow things got mixed up: /var/lib/dpkg/status
is missing, some parts of it are found in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/molly-guard.conffiles instead etc. in short, the fs
seems to be mixed up.

Currently I'm running 'fsck -y /dev/sdb2', and hopefully that system
isn't mixed up as bad as /dev/sda2 is.

anyway, once I managed to restore one of the two filesystems, how can I
start the raid again? how do I tell mdadm which one is the correct and
up-to-date device, and which one needs to be synced?
or is it even possible to automaticly restore the full filesystem from
the two raid devices?

greetings,
 jonas