Re: mailing lists for shell customization, Gnome, where to put libraries

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,07.Sep.08, 11:31:38, David Bernier wrote:
>> Dear Debian-user:
>>
>> I'd be interested to know of mailing lists which would be
>> appropriate for customizing the way the shell works,
>> customizing Gnome, the right directories for plug-ins, etc.
>
> What's wrong with this list? :D If you are running Debian it is always
> better to ask here first, because you might be seeing Debian specific
> behaviour.

Ok, I understand.

>> For example, I'd like to shorten the prompt in the bash shell:
>>
>> david@debian:~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring$ echo $SHELL
>> /bin/bash
>>
>> david@debian:~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring$ pwd
>> /home/david/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring
>>
>> I find "~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring" too long.
>
> Check your PS1 in '.bashrc'. I am using the colored one, but changed it
> to only display the current directory:
>
> PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\W\[\033[00m\]\$ '
>
> For more details check bash's man page.

As a start, I'm experimenting with PS1 settings.
I now have:

 PS1="$ "
which gives a minimal prompt, no directory info.
It's Ok for me.

>> Recently, I got the new *.so from Adobe for the Flash   Plug-in.
>> For the Galeon browser, it turns out that /usr/ ... /mozila/ .. /
>> is the correct directory to put the plugin in, but
>> under mozilla, the *.so has a name starting with:
>>  mozilla*.so  (i.e. starts with mozilla, ends with .so).
>>
>> Adobe's unpacked new Flash plug-in comes under a name
>> different from mozilla*.so ;  so by renaming the old plug-in and giving
>> the .so from Adobe the name of the old plug-in, Galeon was
>> able to use the new Flash plug-in.
>
> And what seems to be the problem? Are you aware that the Adobe plugin is
> available in the contrib section of the repository?

The Flash plug-in from Adobe is working fine.  For the Java JRE plug-in,
I realized that something wasn't up to date by trying
to run the Java "time applet" at http://www.time.gov/   .

I used Synaptic and decided on gcj with Java plug-in.  Now,
I have version 1.4.0   approximately. Now, the time
applet is running fine.

Then I tried an applet that shows a mathematical function,
the Z function:
http://web.viu.ca/pughg/RiemannZeta/RiemannZetaLong.html

I trust this applet.  Compared to Windows, the "play forward"
is very slow.

Also, the "zoom" doesn't work.  For the slowness,
I'm wondering what could explain it.

thanks,

David Bernier