Etch - Broken update failed in buffer_write

With Synaptic, while trying to update linux-image-2.6.18-6-686, I receive the error below

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-6-686_2.6.18.dfsg.1-22etch2_i386.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)

The package shows as broken in Synaptic.

/var shows 1.81 GiB (1.25 GiB Free) so the partition being full shouldn't be the problem.

I'm a relative newbie to Linux although no stranger to a command line interface so I'm not afraid of it, just don't know what to do next.

Another issue I have is on login, a minor issue but a PITA...

I seldom an able to login on the first attempt, mostly not even on the second. It looks like the video fills in the wallpaper but not the toolbars on the bottom then there is evidence of video corruption on the screen (on this computer the wallpaper is the flower with the green background). The background color in the center of the screen looks like it gets corrupted and the login stops and goes back to requesting a username. On a different computer, with a different walpaper, I have exactly the same result.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Dave Cannell
--
   dcannell@freeshell.org