Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files

On 09/05/2008 07:19 AM, Martin wrote:
When I open big text file (46M in this case) emacs take long time for
moving cursor and editing. It takes 3-4 seconds to process every key
press.

Is this only my case or is emacs in general sluggish with big files?

Martin

How much RAM do you have? What distribution is this? What emacs plugins do you have installed? What kind of file is this? What emacs startup scripts are activated when you load that file? What other CPU-hogging processes are running at the same time?

I can't see how opening a 46MB file should be a problem on a modern machine. I don't have emacs installed since Vim is already configured :-P , but neither vim nor jed[0] have any problems opening a 157MB text file here; however, I have 512MB RAM.

[0] Jed is a cut-down emacs clone.