Re: Do Debian's users care about the AGPL?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 01:15:31PM -0400, Eric Gerlach wrote:

> I don't view non-free as some kind of refuse bin for the licences that
> don't make the cut.  I view it as a place where I can choose packages
> from other licenses if I please.

well put and echoes my sentiments exactly. non-free allows me to make
a decision about whether to use non-free software or not. I am not
forced one way or the other.

> Brain-dumping here: maybe Debian needs a "might-be-free" archive? Or
> maybe just "gnu-free" for GNU licenses that aren't DFSG-free?  That
> might also help with some of the non-free doc packages (if there are any
> around anymore).

within the context of debian and DFSG, it seems that
free/contrib/non-free are well defined. While there might be a
connotation that something is truly not free by being in debian's
non-free repos, that is simply not the case. it just means it doesn't
comply with DFSG in some way. At least that's how I understand it.