Re: Do Debian's users care about the AGPL?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Sometimes I get the feeling that Debian's users and Debian's
developers live in separate worlds.

There's currently a long thread in d-legal over the AGPL. One DD has
expressed reservations towards the AGPL to the point where she has
decided not to package a certain program covered by the AGPL.

Do Debian's users care about this sort of legal geekery or is
everything fine as long as AGPLed programs go into non-free?

My irrelevant vote on this topic: I think that there's nothing in the AGPL that makes it non-free, but I don't care what the final Debian decision is as long as AGPL software can be put into non-free and I have the freedom to make my own decision about it.

My humble advice to the project: Just vote on it and decide. Do the same thing you did with the FDL.

If you determine that AGPL is DFSG-free, great!  Problem solved.

If you determine that it's non-free, great! As long as it's in non-free I can make my own decision about whether or not to install it.

I don't view non-free as some kind of refuse bin for the licences that don't make the cut. I view it as a place where I can choose packages from other licenses if I please.

Brain-dumping here: maybe Debian needs a "might-be-free" archive? Or maybe just "gnu-free" for GNU licenses that aren't DFSG-free? That might also help with some of the non-free doc packages (if there are any around anymore).

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students