vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 initrd.img problem

dist-upgrade installed vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64, ran mkinitrd and lilo which reported two warnings (mbr on different harddrive, assuming LBA32 addressing) but no fatal problems.  When the upgrade was complete I rebooted and the new kernel was loaded immediately. The boot up subsequently failed with a message that no ram disk was found at 0.

I confess the same was true of vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-amd64 so I had saved  vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64 which boots up with no problems.  I had hoped the problem would go away with the next kernel image upgrade but it hasn't.

The problem appears to be with kernels and the initrd.img's as kernel panic occurs after a message that no ramdisk is found at 0.  During the dist-upgrade mkinitrd is automatically run for each of the three kernel images mentioned above.  When the system is booted with any of the three kernel images the initial installation of the kernel completes with no difficulty.  It is after this that the newer kernels cannot find the ram disk.  The vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64 kernel does not have this problem and completes the boot up successfully.

Perhaps switching to grub would resolve this problem?  If need be I will try to switch but as I have  been happy with lilo until now it would be nice to be sure this will resolve the problem.

Note: I originally posted this as a lilo problem but now realize this is not the case.  Lilo loads any of the kernel images with no difficulty.  The problem is between the newer kernels and their initrd.imges.

Tom