Re: mail (local mail)

On 08/30/08 04:09, Mark Allums wrote:
[snip]

Look at the list of packages available, using the web or Aptitude or Synaptic or whatever. Look for something that is mature and fairly lightweight. It needs to be an MTA. It doesn't need to support POP3 or IMAP necessarily;

MTAs don't do IMAP.  That's the job of the IMAPd, and why full-
featured mail systems are broken out into lots of smaller mix-and-
matchable packages.

I, for example, use courier-imap with postfix.

$ apt-cache search courier | grep ^courier | sort | cut -d\  -f1
courier-authdaemon
courier-authlib
courier-authlib-dev
courier-authlib-ldap
courier-authlib-mysql
courier-authlib-pipe
courier-authlib-postgresql
courier-authlib-userdb
courier-base
courier-doc
courier-faxmail
courier-filter-perl
courier-imap
courier-imap-ssl
courier-ldap
courier-maildrop
courier-mlm
courier-mta
courier-mta-ssl
courier-pcp
courier-pop
courier-pop-ssl
courier-ssl
courier-webadmin
couriergraph
courierpassd
courierpasswd
courieruserinfo

that is what Icedove (Thunderbird), Mutt, PINE, etc. are for.

Bah!  That's Windows thinking.

Running my own fetchmail/MTA/IMAP trifecta lets me be completely MUA-independent. If, for example, Icedove or X gets hosed for some reason, or I decide that I hate Iceweasel, or I want to switch to KDE, openbox, etc, all, no problem.

After a *little* bit of trial and error, I was able to configure Postfix to be a satellite relay host. So, MUA fetches mail from $(cat /etc/hostname):143 and sends mail to $(cat /etc/hostname):25. I haven't had to touch those config files in over 3 years!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson