RE: mail (local mail)

I'd go with postfix, which also already provides a reasonably short default "localhost only" configuration and is pretty secure by design.
Compared to sendmail, the configuration is easily comprehensible and extensible for everybody (again adding to security).
I wouldn't recommend working with sendmail if there's no existing infrastructure relying on it, you have specific sendmail knowledge or need it for some other special purpose that can only be achieved with it.