Re: Command-line-interface (CLI) calculator to work out the difference between 2 dates

On 2008-08-26 11:50, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/25/08 20:34, s. keeling wrote:
>> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

>>>  [snip]
>>>
>>>  One stylistic reason for piping to bc is that some people think that
>>>  bash's $[] syntax gets too hard to read if you nest it too much.
>>
>> I've been running *nix on my home boxes since '93, and I've never even
>> seen that syntax.  That's a bashism, I hope?
>
> Yes.  And a relatively modern one at that.  Somewhere in the 3.x series.

Maybe not tooooo modern. Just looking at man bash on lenny:

Arithmetic Expansion
       Arithmetic expansion allows the evaluation of an arithmetic
       expression and the substitution of  the  result.   The
       format for arithmetic expansion is:

              $((expression))

       The old format $[expression] is deprecated and will be removed in
       upcoming versions of bash.

-->  *old format*

Johannes