Re: Getting to runlevel 1

On 2008-08-29 14:10, Nicolas BERCHER wrote:
> I think you should just backup your / with rsync and its option
> --exclude-from in order to ignore /proc, /sys, /mnt, /media, /tmp and so
> on...

... or -- even more simple -- use the '-x' option to stay on root's file
system. That doesn't exclude /tmp if it is on the same disk, so you'd
exclude it additionally, but that's never mattered to me...

I usually don't switch to single user mode just to make a backup. If you
are interested in a backup of say your iceweasel settings, it might be a
reasonable precaution to close iceweasel during the backup, though.

On the other hand, it couldn't hurt to do this while you are logged out,
either.

(I am not too concerned about saving my settings, except for .bashrc and
a few other asci text, that never have been a problem [they only get
changed via an editor]; iceweasel and icedove are the ones I close
during the rsync run)

YMMV, disclaimers, ...

Johannes