Re: limiting a user?

Le Jeu 28 août 2008 23:10, Zach Uram a écrit :
[...]
> How can I limit how much disk space he can use and limit how much
> bandwidth?
lokk for "quota" package. You will have to enable quotas on the filesystem
(if the Filesystem accept it) in the /etc/fstab file and remount the
filesystem. Then, you will edit the quotas with edquota and reboot the
server (easiest way to take everything into account and to initialize the
quotas).

For the bandwith, it is not simple. I dont know a simple solution for your
problem.

> Also I would like it so he cannot explore the filesystem and is
> limited to his $HOME directory only.

What kind of acces will he have ? If he can "ssh" into the serveur, you
can explore two solutions :
- a limited shell interpreter (partial solution)
- a jail (chroot)
If not (lock his account with "passwd -l user" and give him a "/bin/false"
shell), you can configure the FTP server to chroot him self.

Have a nice day
Francois Cerbelle