Can a user's default file creation mode use a group they're not a member of? (chroot/rssh issue)

running debian etch;

Here's the background -  I'm using chroot/rssh to restrict users to sftp only.
my chroot jail is /home/chroot
all directory modes are 700 (except the users' directory), because I don't want users to even see the names of other users' home directory's.
all users are in the chroot group; and their default umask is 066 - so user created files are all mode 600.

I have an "SFTP manager" who all the users are exchanging files with.
This person is in the chadm group.
the /home/chroot/users directory's are all mode 770, and are in the chadm group.

So here's my problem -
when users send a file, it's created as owner=user; group=chroot; and mode=600

my "SFTP manager" does not have rights to the file.

is there a way to have my users' file creation default to  group=chadm - WITHOUT having them IN the chadm group?

obviously, my manager should have full rights to all these home directory's, but users's should have NO access to anything but their own directory/files.
TIA -
Bob